Thursday, August 19, 2010

The week on patrol, August 9-13, 2010

This was a short week for me. I worked three days on the street and then enjoyed a four day weekend. I spent some time at the hospital and dealt with some clueless employees at my extra job. Let's get started. 

Monday night started off with two alarm calls at residences. In both cases the residents were at home and asleep when their home alarms went off. Neither alarm had ever malfunctioned before and both were women staying at home alone because their husbands were traveling. As you can imagine, the women were scared and anxious. At one house, the phone service was out and at the other, their cable service was out. In both cases, the alarms went off because the way that the alarm communicates with their respective monitoring centers had been disrupted. I checked all around and throughout both homes and everything was still locked up tight. I imagine it took both women a little while to fall back asleep.

I spent the second half of the shift at the hospital watching a prisoner who had been admitted into the hospital. He had been out drinking with a lady friend. He had too much to drink and drove his vehicle off of a bridge and into a bayou. He suffered numerous injuries including a broken back. His passenger was injured as well, so he was being charged with intoxication assault. He was in a room with 3 other patients. I cuffed his arm to the bed and then sat in the hallway. I passed the time on the iPad. A couple of days later, it was decided that we did not have to watch the prisoner. Since we had good identification information on the suspect, a warrant was issued for him and he will be taken back into custody once he is discharged from the hospital. 

B and I rode together again on Tuesday. That is a nice perk to my move to late side. We checked by with a couple of units on a burglary of a residence in progress. The primary unit arrived and watched a light turn off in the house and then found a young male with his dog by the side of the house. The male knows the family that lives in the house and knew that they were out of town. He had a screwdriver in his pocket. He had taken two screens off of the windows and then crawled into the house through an unlocked window. The interesting thing was that the screens were wired into the home alarm. They had wires and once they had been disconnected, that activated the alarm. I had not seen that before. The primary officer was able to speak with the owner of the residence. She declined to press charges since the male was a friend of her daughter. I do not know why that made it ok to break into her house, but what can we do? 

We ran some other minor calls and then wrote another burglary of a motor vehicle report. This type of report has turned into an almost nightly occurrence. Maybe we can get the tac team to help out and place bait cars in the hardest hit areas. They can then watch the bait car and hopefully catch a suspect or three. Wednesday night I was dispatched to a local restaurant for an "other". That means that the call taker was not sure how to classify the call. Once I arrived, the caller, a woman, told me that she had valet parked her vehicle at the restaurant. She had eaten and then walked to a few of the local bars. When she returned for her vehicle, she was told that her keys had been given to someone else. Her vehicle was still in the parking lot, but keys were gone. Of course, her house keys were on the same key ring. The manager of the restaurant told me that the valet had given the keys to a couple that described the vehicle owner. The couple then said that the vehicle owner had asked them to get her vehicle for her. The vehicle owner had no knowledge of this couple and had not asked them to do this. The couple did not have the valet ticket that went with the car and keys. I took all of the information and wrote a report for the female. With all of the crazy valet stories that I hear, I am not sure that I will be using a valet service anywhere, anytime soon. 

Toward the end of the shift I was dispatched to a gas station. A man had called from the pay phone and said that he needed help and then said something about Bin Laden. Wonderful, sounds like a crazy person off their medications. I arrived and found a man sitting by the pay phone. I asked him if I could help him and he started talking. I could only understand about every third word. He did not have many teeth, was mumbling, and was very hard to understand. Eventually, I was able to determine that he did not recognize me and he wanted to talk to an officer that he knew. There were not any other officers available, so he decided that he would go by the storefront later to talk to another officer. He was not in any distress and I think that he just wanted to talk to someone.

On Thursday morning I had my extra job. I monitor the back door and parking lot of an office building for an oil and gas company. Once I arrived, I discovered that someone was stuck inside the back elevator. We were able to get them out fairly quickly, and then we put a note on the elevator stating that it was out of order. As the employees walked in, I told them that the back elevator was broken. It was amazing how many of them said, "what do I do now?" How about use the other elevator in the building? Or even better, use the stairs. They were like sheep without a shepherd. Their regular routine had been disrupted and they were lost.

I was off on Thursday and Friday nights, so that brings us to the end of another week on patrol.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: