Monday, November 9, 2009

Jen's 20th Reunion, The First Night

How time flies. I can't say that it feels like I just graduated from high school. But it is still hard to believe that it has been over 20 years. My 20th reunion was last year up in the Dallas area. I did not attend. The one person that I would have been interested in seeing was not going to attend. Actually, I do not really keep in touch with anyone from high school. However, I have recently gotten reacquainted with a few friends through Facebook, which has been great. I am not sure if my lack of friends from high school is because I moved away right after high school or because I spent most of my time playing golf while I was in high school. Whatever the reason, it would not have been real fun to sit at my reunion without really knowing anyone.

Skip ahead to this year, and it was time for Jen's 20th reunion. She definitely wanted to attend. Jen has kept i touch with a few people through the years and has reconnected with many others through Facebook. Her class president did a good job through Facebook of planning the event, inviting everyone, and keeping everyone informed about the reunion events during the weekend. A few people met at a bar on Thursday night, but our first night was Friday. The night began with a catered dinner that was served in the high school cafeteria. Since it was an alumni dinner, Jen's sister Courtney attended as well. She somehow persuaded Mike to come with her and he looked very nice in his collared shirt. Terry and Mary met us at the high school and we all ate together. The graduates kept saying how "institutional" the cafeteria looked. To me, it looked like any other high school cafeteria. It was white and a little run down, but not too bad. After the dinner, we all took a walk around the high school. The graduates would make comments like "I spent a lot of time in that room" or "It did not look like this when we in school". I will say that the school seemed huge. Apparently they have connected all of the buildings together since Jen was in school. I have not been back to my high school since graduating, but I do not remember it being that large.

After the tour we left the school and started the walk over to the stadium for the homecoming football game. As we were walking, we ran into a group of people that Jen knew. So, Courtney & Mike and Terry & Mary hung around for a few minutes, and then they walked to the stadium. I was not so lucky. The people that we ran into were not going to the game, so any catching up had to happen then. After about 15 minutes, I started getting text messages from Mike and Terry asking if we were ever coming to the game. The best one of the bunch was this jewel from Mike, "Our baby will be born by the time you get here". Classic. That still makes me laugh. Eventually we made it to the game and found a place to sit in the grandstands. The game was extremely boring. LaPorte crushed South Houston. At least LaPorte knows how to schedule a homecoming opponent, unlike the University of Missouri. The Tigers scheduled Texas for homecoming and got boat raced right out of their stadium by halftime. But I digress...

During halftime of the game, they had the homecoming king and queen ceremony. They announced all of the candidates and they all walked across the turf with a parent while the announcer blathered on and on about their accomplishments. During this, Courtney heard a name that she recognized. One of the candidates for homecoming king was the son of her high school basketball coach. He was born the year that she graduated from high school. I think that made her feel old.

After the game, it was time for the after party at Outriggers. A small bar on the water underneath the Kemah bridge. The parking was less than ideal. Anytime the tide effects the amount of parking for a business, it might be time to look for an alternative. There were quite a few people at the bar. They had a live band out on the bottom deck. That is where the above picture was taken, it is Mandy, Laura, and Jen. We left before most. The smoke started to bother us and we needed to rescue my parents who we nice enough to watch the kids so we could attend. Overall, we had a nice time and it was a good start to the weekend.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: