Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The week on patrol, February 7-11, 2011

It was another cold week on patrol. Whenever it is cold, it is usually
slow, and this week was no exception.

I called in sick with a sinus infection Monday night. I went to the
doctor earlier in the day, and followed his recommendation to take the
night off.

Tuesday night I was riding solo and it was painfully slow until 3 AM.
Then a citizen chasing a suspect call dropped in another beat. Those
beat units were not available, so I was the lucky one to get
dispatched. The citizen was on the phone with a dispatch supervisor,
so we were getting real time location updates. The citizen and the
suspect ended up leaving my district. Usually, when this happens, a
Sergeant will get on the radio and tell us to disregard and will
instruct the dispatcher to send the call to the units that cover the
new area. However, this time, a Sergeant and the original beat units
got on the air and said that they now have the vehicle stopped. I
arrived a short time later and they just dumped it all on me. The
suspect ended up being intoxicated. She had struck the citizens
vehicle and driven off, which is why they were chasing her. I took her
to a DWI van where they processed the DWI while I did the accident
report.

What I found odd about the entire situation was the original beat
units. They were all tied up doing other things when the call dropped,
which is why it was sent to me. Then, conveniently, they are all able
to become available and check by with me. They eventually caught up
with the suspect and stopped her, which is a good thing. She needed to
be stopped. But, if a call drops in my beat and another unit from a
different beat gets dispatched and then I decide to show up and catch
the suspect, I am going to offer to take the call. That just seems
like the right thing to do.

I was by myself again on Wednesday. It was still very slow and very
cold. I checked by a few times with other officers, but that was about
it.

H came back to work on Thursday. He had called me on Saturday to let
me know that his father had passed away. I told him to take as much
time off as he needed and that I would call the desk Sergeant and take
care of it for him, which I did. By Thursday, he had been off for 6
days. We did our end of phase meetings with the field training
Sergeant and he will start phase three of his training on Saturday.

It was still very cold on Thursday. We ran two loud noise calls that
night. The second loud noise call was LOUD. It was the loudest that I
had ever heard that particular bar. This bar sits right across the
street from a huge apartment complex, one of the benefits of no
zoning. The manager came outside and had this incredulous look on his
face that the police would have been called about the noise. I mean
the music was stupid loud, rap concert, Lolapalooza, jet engine loud.
We encouraged him to turn it down a bunch, which he did. They kept it
down as well because we did not get a return call.

At the end of the shift, we got a burglar alarm at a local tire store.
It turned out to be a good alarm, which means that someone actually
broke into the business. The suspect had drug a tire cart which had
been left in the parking lot over to an overhead door. Then he broke
out a window on the overhead door and crawled inside. The only thing
that he stole was a cooler filled with water bottles. So he risked a
third degree felony charge for a few water bottles. Not a very good
risk versus reward scenario in my opinion.

I was the print unit on Friday, and yet again it was cold and slow. I
checked by on a few scenes, but it was an uneventful night.

That concludes another week on patrol,

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: