Thursday, April 21, 2011

The week on Spring Break, March 14-18, 2011

Every year I try to take off from work when Jen and the kids are on
Spring Break. This year I was fortunate enough to be off from patrol
and my extra jobs for the entire week.

I have been attending a Crossfit gym since February. Since A1 was out
of school, he was able to go with me to Crossfit during the week. A1
had a great time. I think that he really enjoyed exercising with me
and he liked feeling like a part of the group. His scores were
recorded and posted on the gym's website right along with mine. He was
motivated and worked hard.

Jen took the kids to see Rango on Monday. I stayed behind at the house
and washed my car. We went over to Courtney and Mike's house for
dinner. Mike grilled steak and chicken and Courtney steamed
vegetables. Mike's father, Alex, was in town and the kids enjoyed
spending time with him and their baby cousin, S1.

Tuesday was our annual family trip to the Livestock Show and Carnival.
Jen and I, the kids, her parents, and my parents all loaded up in the
Suburban and drove up to the Show. We arrived in time to eat lunch.
Most of the family ate Goode and Co. BBQ, while A1 and I had a sausage
on a stick. The Livestock Show is one of the few places where you can
walk around gnawing meat off of a stick and not look out of the
ordinary.

After lunch we walked into the Livestock Show. I had my camera and we
took advantage of the usual photo opportunities, kids in the rodeo
barrel, kids with the longhorn, kids riding the ponies, kids playing
on the tractors, kids petting the bunnies, etc... You get the idea.
After lots of animals and walking, it was time to hit the Carnival. A1
and A2 were told to choose three activities. A1 chose the rock wall,
an obstacle course, and a spinning / flying ride. A2 chose the kids
helicopter ride, airplane ride, and merry-go-round. After the rides,
everyone was tired and it was time for dinner. We ate at Pappacitos
and it was awesome, great fajitas and margaritas.

On Wednesday, the entire family met for dinner at Zio's Italian. A1's
choice I believe. Then we all made the drive north where The Grand
Chapiteau (big top) had been erected for the Cirque du Soleil show
Ovo. We try to go to every Cirque show that comes to town, especially
when they bring the Big Top. The Big Top seats about 2500 people and
is an awesome place to see a Cirque show. Ovo is a show about insects
and was very impressive. From the amazing costumes to the unbelievable
athletic feats of the performers, the show was mesmerizing. A2 kept
asking if there was going to be more. The show completely held her
attention. I highly recommend it.

Thursday was drain the bank account day at the Outlet Mall. My parents
graciously agreed to keep the kids all day and night, while Jen and I
shopped. A2 was in desperate need of clothes, I was told. This was our
first trip, about 60 miles, to this outlet mall and we left impressed.
All of the stores that we were interested in visiting were
represented. The mall was laid out conveniently and we made our way
through it all. We picked up things for everyone and made sure that A2
would have clothes for the summer. On our way back home, we stopped to
eat at the Perry's Steakhouse at Memorial City. The food was
outstanding, which is the norm for Perry's.

While Jen was getting her hair done Friday morning, I picked up the
kids from my parent's house. They had a great time fishing, feeding
the ducks, making breakfast, and watching the Disney channel. We did
some things around the house for the rest of the day. Jen unloaded the
bags from the outlet mall. A2 was very excited to see her new clothes.
After she was shown each item, she would grab it, say that she loved
it, and give Jen a big hug. She is such a precious child. A1 was
particularly fond of his new Nike shirt which says "My skills pay the
bills" on the front. We met Courtney and Mike for dinner that evening.

That concludes another week on Spring Break.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: