Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The week on patrol, April 25-29, 2011

I was the print unit two nights, had a partner tow nights, and worked
a little overtime this week .

I rode by myself as the print unit on Monday night. There were no
print or picture calls all night. Early in the shift, R tried to stop
a motorcycle. The motorcycle did not stop and the chase was on. I
started heading towards the chase, and the motorcycle came right
towards me. R was way behind the motorcycle, so I became the primary
unit and started calling the chase. The motorcycle was some type of
V-twin sportster bike, and the rider was blowing red lights and stop
signs. He nearly laid it down tuning north and had to drive through a
yard but managed to stay upright. On the straight aways he would pull
away from me with ease and I would catch up if he made a few turns. On
one straight away, he blew through a stop sign and missed t-boning
another police car by inches. He finally made it to the freeway where
I lost him. He was a little ahead and I saw him enter the freeway but
then he went over an overpass and I never saw him again. He just
disappeared. I was never able to get a plate number, and am not sure
that there was a plate on the motorcycle. The chase was fun,
frustrating, and very dangerous all at the same time.

P and I rode together on Tuesday. We ran 9 calls. There were not very
many units. We ran a bunch of illegal parking calls and issued 7
parking tickets. We ran a few loud noise calls, 2 at the same bar, and
a few disturbances. None of them were very interesting.

We checked by with W on an assault with a deadly weapon in progress
call. The call slip said that a lady was chasing a male around a car
with knife in a club parking lot. When we arrived, they were both
still there. Neither of them had warrants and neither wanted to do
anything. They said that they had an argument, but that nothing else
happened. The call slip said that they were yelling and that she was
trying to puncture his tire with the knife. They said that they were
messing with a hub cap, and nothing else. It was W's call, and he let
them go home together. Not the choice that I would have made, but it
was not my call.

I was by myself on Wednesday night. P was in the office and A had a
rookie with her. There were not many units but there were not very
many calls. I provided traffic control for an accident. A female
failed to yield the right of way while turing left. The accident was
very similar to the one that I was involved in last October.

Thursday afternoon, A and I worked some overtime. The OT program
wanted production, so we wrote tickets. During the overtime shift,
over the radio B said, "I found the DWI, he has a flat tire. Does
anyone speak Asian?" Another officer asked "which Asian?" The
dispatcher responded with, "I don't think we know yet." A few minutes
later, Vietnamese was the winner, which qualifies as a Asian language.

A short time later, during one of our traffic stops, the female driver
told me that she could not see the illegal turn sign because her eye
was infected and dilated. But yet she was driving. She proceeded to
show us the eye drops and the receipt for the eye doctor. I said that
maybe you should not be driving if you can't see. Sounded reasonable
to me. She responded with, "but I can see ok." Maybe the eye problem
just prevented her from seeing traffic signs?

A and I rode together for our regular shift as well. We were
dispatched to a code 1 assault in progress in government housing. A
pair of drunk brothers were fighting with each other. Their mother
wanted one of them out of the house. He was a registered sex offender.
We did not have much else to do with him and didn't want him to come
back, so we took him to his half-way-house.

At dinner time, we were dispatched to a wagon call for K at B's
apartment complex. A guy was trying to sneak into the parking garage
and Kenny caught him. He had 8 crack rocks with him along with $350.
He had just smoked crack as well and was high as a kite. We
transported him to jail
for K and still made it to dinner on time.

I was the print unit on Friday. I had two picture calls. One of them
was for a burglary of a building. The suspect hit two offices at a
high rise building. He came into the building through a "not very"
secure parking garage. He used a fire extinguisher to break a hole in
the glass part of the door and then reached through and hit the button
that unlocked the door. He then went up to the 8th floor where people
were working and asked to borrow a ladder, which they gave him. He
then burglarized an office on the 4th floor and the second floor. Both
times he went through the office of the person in charge. He threw
files everywhere and made a big mess in both offices. I took pictures
of a shoe print on the front door of one office. We had no idea if he
was still in the building. There was no way to search the whole
building since there was construction going on. There were not any
cameras in the building either. It was a little strange.

The second picture call was for a family violence assault call. It was
a nice house and according to the female, had never happened before.
She said that her husband had, "flipped out and grabbed her and hit
her in the mouth during an argument." He went to jail for family
violence assault and I photographed her injuries.

That concludes another week on patrol.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: