Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The week on patrol, May 9-13, 2011

I had another four night work week. I was by myself for two nights and
rode with A for the other two. I was off on Thursday night in order to
attend Mama Mia, the musical, with the family.

I was solo on Monday. There was a decent number of units and not very
many calls. I was dispatched to a wagon call at a grocery store to
check by with a deputy who was working security on a drug possession
case. This could have been good or bad. If the deputy wants to dump it
all on me, it will suck. Otherwise it should be ok. Not that I mind
helping, but doing someone else's work is a little annoying. By
policy, on wagon calls the transporting officer is only responsible
for transport and filing charges. This time, it turned out to be easy,
very easy. The deputy just needed a name, he had his own county
vehicle to transport the prisoner. It was the easiest wagon call ever.

Things went crazy at the end of the shift. A condo blew up in two
district and lots of officers were needed for traffic control. Then a
code 1 sexual assault in progress dropped. Somehow, I got lucky and
did not get sent to either.

I was by myself again on Tuesday night. Once again, we had a decent
number of units and not very many calls to run. I was dispatched to an
auto theft in the club area. I knew immediately that the vehicle had
most likely been towed. I arrived to find a musician looking for his
car. I gave him the phone number to the tow line and sure enough, his
car had been towed. He said that he had just paid his rent and could
nor afford to get the car. So, I gave him a ride home. His night had
been bad enough without having to walk 10 miles home.

A and I rode together on Wednesday. Early in the shift, we were
dispatched to a trespasser. A male jumped a fence at a construction
site. The company had a video surveillance unit on the site and
watched him in real time jump the fence. We arrived and I saw the
suspect immediately. I got on the PA and told him to come out. He went
to the back of the building where I saw him again and ordered him to
come to the fence and climb out. Luckily, he listened. I would have
been less than happy to have to jump the fence. He told us that he was
being chased by two guys and that is why he jumped the fence.
Possible, but unlikely. He was not wanted, and since he did not make
me jump the fence to get him, we took him home.

I had a hospital assignment the second half of the shift. I was not
relieved by dayshift until 7 AM. It took the officer an hour to get
from roll call to the hospital to relieve me. He said that he had to
tie up the shop and get another one. For what? If it starts and will
run, why not drive it to the hospital and then tie it up after you get
relieved. That way, the officer already at the hospital can go home on
time. I was a little annoyed.

Thursday was Mama Mia night. It turned out to be an entertaining
musical and the kids really enjoyed it.

I rode with A again on Friday. Our first call was for illegal parking.
We left parking tickets on 4 vehicles. Then we drove off while three
wreckers waited and watched.

Later, we checked by with AR on a welfare check. A male had told
someone in California that he was going to kill himself on the 16th.
The person in CA wanted us to make sure that he was OK. Since it was
not yet the 16th, I figured that he would be just fine. We checked on
him. He had no job and was broke. He then said that this was the third
time that officers had checked on him in the last 10 days. He then
denied that he had told anyone that he wanted to kill himself. I did
not believe him, but we had no other information to go on and left him
alone.

Afterwards, we were getting a drink at Chevron. A noticed a guy making
a bee line for us. He came in and said, "not that you care but we just
got thrown out of a cab by a rude cabdriver." The cabdriver had said
that they were disrespectful. So, the cabbie dropped them off in the
parking lot and drove off. We offered to get them another cab. We
needed a name and he said "Frank Billingsly, Channel 2 news", I wanted
to respond, "I am William Sumner, police." He and his "partner" who
was wearing a see through v-neck sweater were both very intoxicated.
They left in another cab.

Our last call was a disturbance at apartment. I called the complainant
and he came out to tell us what was going on. He said that his
girlfriend just freaked out and started breaking stuff inside the
apartment. He wanted her to leave but did not want her to go to jail.
So, I asked what he expected from us. He just wanted us to talk to
her. It was time to put on the counselor hat. We found her crying in
an upstairs bedroom. She said that she had just found out that he was
cheating on her. We convinced her to take a cab home. We started
walking toward the front door. I was in front, she was behind me, and
A was behind her. I left the apartment to call a cab over radio. All
the while, I assumed that A was right behind me. All of the sudden, A
got on the radio and said, "Will, come back inside." I quickly went
back to the apartment and the girl was cuffed and on the ground.
Apparently after I exited the apartment, she tried to go through A in
order to get back upstairs. Wrong choice. I apologized to A. I guess I
can not let her out of my sight, just crazy.

That concludes another week on patrol.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: