Friday, February 26, 2010

One thing not to say when you get pulled over

I worked four hours of overtime on patrol yesterday. They like us to be productive when we are working overtime. That seems fair. If there are not any calls holding, that means it is time for traffic stops. I set up on one of my favorite spots for traffic stops and waited about 5 minutes for my first customer. A vehicle turned left at an intersection where there are numerous signs stating no turns are allowed. Why are turns not allowed you ask? I did not place the signs there myself. But, I think that the signs are there because there are not any turn lanes or turn signals at the intersection. The street is very busy and without turn signals, the risk of accidents is high if vehicles turn. So, they put up no turn signs in the interest of public safety. Sounds good anyway.

I stopped the violator and walked up to speak to the driver. I told her that she had made an illegal left turn where it is prohibited by sign. She responded with, "I have never seen the signs." Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but that is a topic for another day. I asked to see her driver's license and proof of insurance. She provided the documents. I made sure that her stickers were valid and that she had a front plate on her vehicle. Everything was in order. I told her that I would return shortly and I went back to my vehicle to write her a ticket. After all, I am on overtime and need to show production.

I returned to her vehicle and gave her back her driver's license and insurance card. Then I told her that she was receiving a citation (ticket) for making an illegal left turn. She looked incredulous and said, "What! Why not a warning?" I finished explaining to her that by signing she was not admitting guilt and that she was only promising to either take care of the ticket or appear in court. She asked again, "Why not a warning?" I asked her to sign the ticket. Again she says, "Why not a warning?" In a very calm and reasonable tone, I said, "Ma'am, you are receiving a citation, please sign by the X." The broken record asked "Why not a warning?" "Because you are receiving a citation, please sign by the X." Then we had a mini stare down. Finally, she grabbed the citation and said, "Don't you have anything better to do than issue left turn tickets?" To which I replied, "No ma'am, this is too much fun. Have a nice day."

One thing to keep in mind when you get pissed off during a traffic stop. In Texas, you can go to jail for any and all traffic violations except speeding. I was very understanding and realized that she was just upset and venting. No problem, but the next officer might not be so reasonable.

1 comment:

L.A.W. said...

As I always tell Bobby, you have the patience of a saint.