Sunday, February 14, 2010

Which way do we go, which way do we go?

When I begin training or evaluating a new probationary officer, I always ask them who trained or evaluated them previously. This will tell me a few things. The main reason why I ask is because I want to know if they will be familiar with the area. Their knowledge and familiarity of the area will be different depending upon the amount of time they have spent in the district. That brings me to C.

C did not grow up in this area. He moved here for the job. While training, C spent first phase in my district. But during first phase, the probationary does not drive all of the time. It is very difficult to get to know an area from the passenger seat. Then he spent phases two, three, and week one of phase four, in the other district. I found this out on day one, so I knew that C was going to have a hard time finding locations. I had no idea just how hard.

C is a great probationary officer. Possibly the best that I have evaluated. His safety, scene management, knowledge, and attitude are all top notch. However, in this district, without a map, he can not find his butt with both hands. It is amazing. I go to the same Chevron every night. It is at a major intersection in my beat. Tonight was day five, so C and I have been to that Chevron at least 10 times previously. Do you think he knows where it is or can find it? Nope. It is such a dramatic difference from Z, my previous probationary officer. He very rarely needed a map and most of the time drive straight to where ever we were going. With C, if a map is not used, I am saying, "left at the light or right at this street or straight ahead." I have confidence that he will learn the area eventually, but he is not there yet.

No comments: