Saturday, August 27, 2011

The week on patrol, August 22-26, 2011

We had eleven units in the district Monday night. Early in the shift I was dispatched to check by with R on a CIT (crazy person) disturbance. According to the call slip, it sounded like a domestic disturbance called in by the male. R arrived and spoke with the female who was outside the apartment complex in a car with a friend. According to the female, she is the ex-girlfriend of the male, even though she has been staying at his apartment the last few days. Tonight, he wanted to go out, but she did not. A verbal argument started that kept getting worse until it turned physical. Things in the apartment were damaged and thrown at each other. Then he punched her in the right eye. They wrestled and somehow broke the front door. She was finally able to get away and called the police from a nearby gas station. She had a badly swollen eye and scratches all over her arms and legs. 

We went up to check the apartment for the male, and no one was inside. We asked the dispatcher to call the male and to ask him to step outside to let us into the apartment complex. The dispatcher got ahold of the male and he said he would be out shortly. A few minutes later, the male drove up and we got his side of the story. He said that the female had broken into his apartment and gone crazy. She started throwing things and hitting herself. He left the apartment to get away from her. He called the police as well. R did a criminal history check on each of them. The male had three priors for burglary and the female was currently wanted for city warrants. Quite a couple. 

R called the district attorney's office and gave a DA a summary of the events. The DA took class A assault on the male. Pictures were taken of the female's injuries and the male went to jail. I really did not know who to believe. The female had the injuries, but the male called the police as well and then returned to the scene. It is unlikely that he would return if he had just beaten the crap out of her, but people do strange things. I was glad that it was not my call, but it would have been a great training call. 

Tuesday night we had eleven units in the district. It was unusually slow, especially in my beat. I was only dispatched to one call, and that was as a back-up unit. It was an alarm call at a local restaurant. One of the owners activated the alarm. He did not know the alarm code. He said that he was going to be sleeping in the restaurant because he could not get into his residence. He said that he lives with his brother and his brother had used the upper deadbolt on the door which does not have a key to the outside. He tried to wake his brother, but did not have any luck. So, he will sleep in the restaurant. Safer than sleeping in your car.

Typically we are short handed on Wednesday, and this week was no exception. We had 8 units in the district. We have a new captain at our patrol station. Our former captain was chosen to become the chief of staff for the chief of the department. This is the new captain's first assignment as a captain, he was recently promoted. He decided that we are having too many burglaries of motor vehicles in our area. So, for the time being, every night, one unit in each district is assigned to provide extra patrol in an area that is having a problem with BMVs. I got that assignment tonight. The desk Sergeant told me to put myself out on the assignment twice during the night when it was slow. It was slow when I signed on, so that is the first thing that I did. I patrolled the area for about 30 minutes. I did not see any foot traffic at all and only three vehicles in the area. I will do it again later in the shift.  

A little later I was dispatched to a theft from a vehicle. A guy went out to a bar and parked his truck in view of the front door. When he returned to his truck in 3 hours, the back tires were missing and the truck was sitting on a small jack. The rear brakes were also stolen from the truck. All of this took place in plain view of the valet and the door guys for the bar. The guy asked the bar to pay for his vehicle to be towed home which I thought was reasonable under the circumstances, but they refused. His friend had AAA and they came to tow the vehicle to his house. It has been a few years since I have seen this type of theft in my area. I hope that it is not starting up again. We eventually caught the last group of guys doing this, but it took a few months and a lot of reports.

At the end of the shift I was dispatched to a suspicious vehicle. When I arrived I found a VW Bug sitting at an intersection, engine running with the lights on, but no one was inside. I looked to the left and noticed a male passed out leaning against a building. I think that I found my driver. I nudged him a few times with my flashlight and eventually he woke up. I asked him a few questions and he sat there mute. Finally, he told me his first name. I asked where he had been earlier in the evening and he said, "my lawyer is on the way." I said, "great, tell him to meet you at the city jail." He would not tell me his last name or where he lived. When I told him to stand, he said "why?" He was testing my patience. After I got him up, cuffed, searched, and into the back seat, I went to search his vehicle. He did not have a wallet or any ID on him. In a small backpack, I found his provisional driver's license. Awesome. I ran him on the computer and he had seven open warrants. Even better. 

Thursday night we had 9 units in the district. At roll call, we were shown the crime statistics from the past year. In my district, crime is down 20% this year compared to last. My first call of the night was to provide traffic control on a major accident. A Ford Ranger ran on stop sign and was t-boned by a Jeep. The Ford rolled onto its side. The driver of the Ford said that he could not see the stop sign because it was obscured by tree branches. I took a look and you can see the stop sign at least 40 feet before you reach the intersection. He will have that as a possible defense if he chooses to fight the running the stop sign ticket that he received. 

My next call was a burglary of a motor vehicle which was parked on the street by a club. A female, J, met me by her vehicle. J said that she came to the club with two friends and two cousins. Inside the club it came to her attention that her cousins were popping pills, Xanax and Ecstasy. This made her very mad because she assumed that they brought the pills with them and had them in her car. J confronted the cousins in the club. They argued and J ended up just walking out to cool off and calm down. The cousins decided to leave. They had left some of their stuff inside of J's car. So, to get their stuff, they decided to break into the car using a brick to break a window. Who needs enemies with family like that?

My last call of the night dropped as a suspicious person. The call slip said that a male wearing only underwear was banging on their front door yelling for help. N & K checked by and found the almost naked male before I arrived. The male told them that someone had broken in his house and he had escaped and ran for help. We met at his residence. His boyfriend was outside waiting for the police when I pulled up. He said that two men had come into their bedroom and demanded money. There was a struggle and the nearly naked man ran out of the house for help. The two suspects left the bedroom at that point and the other male got out of the house. The males never saw the suspects leave the house, so we had to assume that they might still be inside. I called for a K-9 unit to check by and the officer and his dog cleared the 3 story house for us. One of the suspects was a former roommate until about a year ago. They kicked him out after he started smoking crack. The suspects took cellphones and a wallet, but they left their cellphone in the house. They entered the house through an unlocked back door. The male said that he had lived there since the 1970's and never  had a problem so he leaves all his doors unlocked. I advised him that he might want to think about locking his doors in the future. 

I was the print unit on Friday night. We had eight units in the district. There were not any print or picture calls. The shift started out with a bunch of callers reporting that the windows of their vehicle had been shot out. The incidents occurred on the street near two different apartment complexes. There were at least 15 vehicles that had been damaged.

I checked by with N & K on a major accident to provide traffic control. It was an FSGI accident, the at fault driver left the scene. A silver Toyota was west bound and wanted to turn onto another street going southbound. The driver failed to yield the right of way and turned directly into the path of an east bound Ford Focus. The Toyota then drove away. It turned out that he did not drive very far away. Another officer, A, who was writing a report in a nearby parking lot noticed a silver vehicle with some damage to it park on a nearby street. The driver got out and walked away. A did not have a very good view of the damage, so she walked over to check it out. The vehicle had some substantial damage. A thought that it was probably the involved vehicle. The person that got out of the vehicle was gone. 

A called N to tell him that she thought that she had found the other involved vehicle. He told me about it and I went to check it out. As I got to the block where the Toyota was parked, I was sitting at an intersection talking to A, who found the Toyota. As we were sitting there, a black Camero going about 50 mph in a 30 mph zone blew right through a stop sign. I looked at A and said, "did he really just do that?" I activated my lights and pulled over the Camero. The driver said that he was the designated driver for his buddy who was passed out in the passenger seat. That is a great concept, but when the designated driver is drunk, it does not work out so well. I called for a DWI unit. After some field sobriety tests, the driver was arrested for DWI. The driver had turned 21 three weeks earlier. 

While I was dealing with the DWI, A was dealing with a drunk female nearby who she thought might be the driver of the Toyota from the earlier accident. After some investigation, it was determined that she was not the driver. She was just a drunk girl trying to get home. A called her a cab. Right when the cab arrived, A noticed that the Toyota that was involved in the accident just had a light come on in the vehicle. She saw the door open, a male reached inside, then closed the door and got into a nearby vehicle and started driving away. A activated her lights and pulled over that vehicle. The passenger admitted to being the driver of the Toyota that was involved in the accident. He said that his boyfriend brought him back to the Toyota in order to get his satchel out of the car. He was arrested and the district attorney took FSGI charges against him for leaving the accident scene. He was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. First, he leaves the accident scene. Then he parks his car only two blocks away from the accident scene. To top it off, he returns to his car and gets into it with a police officer in plain sight. To get a satchel! I hope that the satchel was worth it.

My last call was another check by. I went by with A on a criminal mischief. A female was having problems with an ex. Tonight he came by and broke two trees and then smashed the windshield of her Audi. She told us that he either emails or texts her every day. The relationship ended in February. He tells her that he loves her and hates her. That she ruined his life and is the best thing for him. That he wants to kill her cat and his cat. Sounds like he needs some medication. She is tired of the harassment and wants some help. A wrote her a report and it will be up to the investigators to get him into custody. 

That concludes another week on patrol.
 

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: