Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The week on patrol, May 23-27, 2011

This week, manpower was all over the place. We were short handed, then
had plenty, then were short handed again. Luckily, the call volume was
low for the week.

On Monday I rode by myself. We were short handed as compared to a
normal Monday night. The night was very slow until the end. I was
dispatched to a wagon call at 5:40 AM at a Walgreens. An EJ officer
from another jurisdiction working there had someone in custody for
theft. A pet peeve of mine is officers working extra jobs out of their
jurisdiction. If something happens, they can not do any of the work
because they have no jurisdiction. They can make the arrest, but all
of the paperwork and report falls to the on duty unit. The suspect
grabbed 4 boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk and tried run out. The
officer tried to taser him and missed. But then somehow got him into
custody. The suspect was also wanted in Indiana for felony theft. I
did the paperwork and dayshift came out to transport and to do the
report so that I could get off on time.

I was solo again on Tuesday night. We had our regular compliment of
units. Taking advise from my Sergeant, I asked the Desk Srg to look
into Amy and I becoming partners. That way we would not have to ask
every night. I am not optimistic, but you never know. The night was
very slow. Very few calls for service dropped and I was not dispatched
to anything.

Wednesday was a repeat of Monday. I was by myself and there were not
very many units. I was dispatched to a major accident on a major
street. Three units, about 10 wreckers and an ambulance canvased the
area and could not find the accident. The dispatcher tried the
callback number and got voicemail. Those are my favorite accidents,
the ones that disappear.

Later, I found a person down who was laying about halfway into the
right lane of a fairly busy street. An ambulance and I got there at
about the same time. They woke him up and surprisingly, he was not
that intoxicated. He was alert and able to answer questions so we let
him walk home.

J and I did overtime Thursday afternoon. We wrote lots of tickets, but
nowhere near enough for the traffic overtime program at our station.
For that program, they want 20 tickets per officer during a four hour
block of time. If you ride with a partner, you guessed it, they want
40 tickets. They are single handedly trying to make up for the city's
budget shortfall. That night, J and I rode together. We ran a loud
noise and a suspicious person call. Overall, the call volume was very
low.

Friday night A and I rode together. We rode the print unit for the
first half of the shift, and then Aimee switched to her regular
numbers after I left. I went home early to get some rest for the
Original Mud run which was Saturday morning. We did not have any print
or picture calls and the call volume was low for a Friday night. We
checked by on a couple of calls, but nothing of interest.

That concludes another week on patrol.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: