Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The week on patrol, May 30 - June 3, 2011

This week started off with a holiday, Memorial Day. I was the print unit three  nights and rode with A twice. 

Memorial Day is a city holiday so we were on minimum staffing. The regular print unit officer was observing the holiday so the desk sergeant asked me to ride the print unit. My first call was assisting N & K on a major accident with a roll-over. I was very close. A female driving a Nissan Murano ran a red light and hit a Ford Escape Hybrid which then flipped over onto its roof. The driver of the Escape was transported, but she did not appear to have any major injuries. The driver of the Murano admitted to drinking beer all day by the pool, but when she was given the standardized field sobriety tests, she passed.  

Later, I reluctantly checked by with D on a fast vehicle. I only went by because I was very close again. D said that a Toyota 4 Runner was going about 100 mph down Richmond. The 4 Runner finally pulled over just as I arrived. D walked up yelling at the driver to stick his hands out of the window. D cuffed his hands while they were sticking out of the window. The driver was intoxicated and his shorts kept falling down once he was out of the vehicle. D told him that he needed to buy a belt instead of beer. The driver could not step into the back seat of the patrol car because his shorts had fallen again, so D shoved him head first and then picked his legs up and slammed the door. I made sure that D did not want any other help and then made myself available quickly after that. It is always an adventure with D.

My last call was checking by with N & K on a BMV in progress. I arrived and the reportee yelled at me that the suspect had just gone north and then east. I drove that way and there was no one. We searched the area but came up empty. 

Tuesday night I was the print unit again. It was completely dead. I think everyone was still recovering from the holiday.

I rode with A on Wednesday. Our first call of the night was a suicidal female. She is a regular customer, but this was my first experience with her. She is a 50 year old depressed alcoholic that gets lonely and calls for an ambulance. Then they call for us. She said that she wants to hurt herself but has no plans to do so. We took her to a psychiatric hospital and I did an Emergency Detention Order. They will evaluate her and keep her for three days. 

We checked by with D on a rollin stolen. We were very close. The vehicle stopped once D activated his emergency lights, and then took off on us once we started walking up to the vehicle. She led us on a 7 mile high speed chase in a Chevy Tahoe. She cracked up (crashed) and then ran into the woods where she was taken into custody. She resisted us a short time later and had to be leg restrained. Her wiglet fell off in the struggle. The vehicle had been left running at a laundromat where she jumped in and took off. That night I posted a video of the vehicle burning. 

A and I worked a little overtime on Thursday. We wrote some tickets. Then we rode together that night as well. We were dispatched to check by on an assault in progress at a piano bar. A female walked up to another female and yanked her to the ground by her hair. This caused her to strike her head on the ground. It turned out that the victim had slept with the suspect's boyfriend a few times while they were dating. They are now broken up, but the suspect obviously still harbors some anger. She went to jail for class A assault. The victim was EXTREMELY dramatic and drunk. She was  breathing hard and almost hyperventilating, 45 minutes after the assault. It was very hard to get any information out of her. She was really working it. 

Friday night I was the print unit again. My only print call for the night was holding when I signed onto my computer. It was a burglary of a residence. The suspect had broken a window by the back door and then unlocked the back door. They then went up to the master closet and took jewelry. No electronics were taken and there were electronics everywhere. An iPad was on the counter right by the back door. I advised the home owner to get two sided keyed dead bolts for all of the door locks that are by glass. I could not find any liftable prints on anything that had been moved. I am not CSI material. 

That concludes another week on patrol.  

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: