Monday, August 3, 2009

Unacceptable behavior

The British Open took place a few weeks ago. Tiger Woods played in the event. If you do not familiar with golf on TV in the Tiger era, I will enlighten you. If Tiger is playing in the tournament, that tournament will get good TV ratings. If TIger is in the mix to win the tournament, that tournament will get great TV ratings. So, if Tiger is playing, they show him during the TV coverage more than any other player. I estimate he is shown almost twice as much as every other player. This means that a camera is on him constantly. They show his pre-shot routine, his shot, and his post-shot reaction. They show his huge fist pumps after making an important putt and they show him slamming his club on the ground and spewing f-bombs after a poor shot.


In the British Open, Tiger missed the cut in the event (the field of players is divided in half by score after the first two rounds with the bottom half going home and the top half playing the final two rounds for the championship). It was only the second time that TIger has missed the cut in a major championship since he turned pro. As you can imagine, to miss the cut he had to hit some bad shots, and a few horrendous ones. After those shots, he reacted. Those reactions were more severe than I remember seeing from TIger in the past. As hard as he slammed a few of his clubs into the Scottish soil, I expected them to snap in half. He did this on a number of occasions usually while saying a wide variety of curse words, punctuated with f-bombs.


For better or for worse, Tiger is a role model to kids that watch him on TV. The kids watch how he reacts to bad shots. I imagine after watching his reaction, those kids think that it is ok to react that way after a bad shot. It is not.


This brings me to yesterday. I was fortunate enough to play golf with my Dad and Terry. Lately, I have been playing fairly well. Yesterday, I did not play well. One club in particular took the brunt of my frustration. I did not slam it into the ground. My reaction of choice yesterday was to toss/throw the club in anger. I probably cursed one or twice, but no f-bombs. I am sure that I looked like a complete idiot, spoiled brat, jerk, and any number of other unsavory things. My reactions were embarrassing. Sorry Dad and Terry, no excuses, I behaved poorly.


According to fellow officers, at work I am known for being very calm and level headed. I very rarely get excited and am a model of politeness. I am very patient with citizens and the probationary officers that I train. While calling out a chase while driving too fast, I am cool as a cucumber. When unexpected things happen, or after crazy decisions by supervisors, I just move on. But, put me on a golf course and watch me hit a bad shot, and something snaps inside me. I need/hope to get this under control. I am reading a golf psychology book that has helped, but not yesterday.


Austin has gone to the golf course with me a number of times. An amazing thing happens, 99% of the time, I stay under control. Maybe I need to take him with me more often? Or just get myself under control.


No comments: