Friday, October 30, 2009

Rain-n-Drunks

I worked an extra four hours of patrol overtime yesterday. The city should have to pay double for overtime in the rain. Working patrol in the rain sucks. First call was, you guessed it, an accident. This one was in-bound on Allen Parkway at the Waugh exit. It was in a horrible spot just around a curve. I parked the patrol car behind the accident and hopped out quickly. I immediately heard screeching tires and turned around to see a car going sideways toward my car. Luckily the driver saved it in time to avoid my patrol car. I told the wrecker driver to pick up the wrecked car in a hurry before we all get hit. He picked it up and we got off of Allen Parkway. You would think that in the middle of a monsoon people would slow down on the roads. Nope.

Later in the shift an on duty officer responding to an accident on US 59 was involved in an accident. His patrol car no longer has a trunk. The officer was in the car at the time, but he will be ok. A short time later a HFD pumper truck was struck by another car while responding to a different accident on US 59. The freeways are crazy in the rain.

Ten o'clock could not get here fast enough. Carol is in her last day of evaluation. She is doing well. We were dispatched to a criminal mischief report where the boyfriend was the suspect. We arrived to find a drunk lady wearing a robe. She said that her boyfriend got locked inside of her BMW 335 convertible. The boyfriend was so drunk that he could not figure out how to get out, so he broke the window and climbed out. Wow. So drunk that you can not get out of a locked car. She said that he usually will drink 20 to 30 Miller Lites every day of the weekend. I would call him a heavy drinker. The best part of the call was the complainant calling Carol my probationary, "ladybug". I could not help but laugh.

Next, Ladybug and I were sent back onto Allen Parkway to provide traffic control for another accident. This one was a roll over. The drunk female bartender that was driving tried to exit where there was not an exit ramp. She drove onto the concrete embankment and then rolled back down onto Allen Parkway.

Last but not least, Ladybug and I responded to an assault call. An intoxicated doctor was assaulted by 4 Asian males. In his words "They jumped me for no reason. I just went into the fetal position and they hit me. Then I got up and ran away". He asked Ladybug what she would have done in the same situation. All five feet of her said "I would have fought back and kicked their asses". Great answer.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: