Thursday, October 1, 2009

Preparing for the weekend

This weekend Jen and I are heading to Austin for the Austin City Limits Music Festival. It is a three day festival taking place at Zilker Park in Austin. The Dave Matthew's Band and Pearl Jam are the headline acts. I imagine that it will be a lot like Lollapalooza. When Courtney, Deborah, Sam, and I went to Lollapalooza in 1996, Metallica and Soundgarden were the big names. Over the course of the afternoon, we made our way towards the main stage. We were about 50 feet from the stage when Soundgarden came on. At that point the crowd surged, and we ended up 25 feet from the stage. We had no choice but to move forward. It was a surreal feeling. I am not sure that Jen has any idea what is in store for her, but I imagine that we will hang out safely towards the back and just watch the huge screens.

Getting ready to go on a trip is always an adventure for us. It is especially difficult on Jen. The responsibility falls on her to pack for everyone. All that I have to do is get the suitcases down out of the attic and take out the clothes that I want packed. Jen has to get everything together for herself and the kids, which is no small task. Especially when you are like Jen, and want the kids to be prepared for every possible circumstance. She always ends up staying up very late the day before we leave. By the way, we are very thankful to those that are watching our children while we go out of town. Big props to Rob and Pam and Jim and Cathy. Also to Terry and Mary for having Addy over for a play date on Saturday to give Jim and Cathy a break.

I had a few things to accomplish earlier today before we left town. The Camry needed an oil change and the check engine light was on, and Austin needed a flu shot. We dropped off the Camry at the dealer last night. My Dad was nice enough to call the dealer for me to check on the car. I wanted to make sure that they realized that I needed the car back today. I did not want to take a dealer loaner Corolla to Austin. Nothing against a Corolla, I just like my Hybrid. They told my Dad that the car was ready and that the check engine light was due to a loose gas cap. That made me feel like a moron. At least it was nothing serious.

Two weeks ago, Jen, Addy, and I got the flu nasal mist at Jen's school. Austin was in school at the time, so he was not with us. So, he needs a flu shot and Walgreens does them every day until 4 in the afternoon. Strange that they stop at 4 PM, since most schools get out around 3 PM. It does not leave parents very much time, let alone families where both parents work normal schedules. Austin was less than excited about getting a flu shot. I told him that if he was brave and did not whine that I would get him a treat after the shot. On the way to Walgreens, Austin said "I hope that the treat comes from Game Stop." I told him that I had something like a dessert in mind and not a new video game. Crazy kid, where does he get these ideas? Sounds exactly like something I would have said at his age. We go back to the pharmacy in Walgreens and are told that Austin is too young. Walgreens will not give flu shots to kids that are younger than 9 years old. Suck. The new plan is to take Austin to whatever Pasadena ISD school is doing flu shots on the Monday we get back from Austin.

Austin was disappointed that he did not get a shot. He thought that no shot meant no treat. I surprised him with a Chick-fil-A milkshake. Big mistake. I gave him a sip or two of it before we left for dinner. Once we got back home after karate, he ran to the refrigerator and began sucking it down. Then Addy wanted me to chase her around the house. She will walk up to me, get a big smile on her face, and say "Daddy, chase me." Like I have a choice after that. Austin does not want to feel left out, so he runs around the house as well. Lets just say that milkshake in the belly and then running around the house is not a good idea. Milkshakes and Austin do not get along, at least not in abundance.

I apologize for the lack of work stories. Work has been rather bland and boring lately. Tonight is positively SLOW. Absolutely nothing going on. I better enjoy it while it lasts.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: