Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Setting an example

Austin played in his first flag football game for the season this past Saturday. He is on the Cowboys and played center for most of the game. He really enjoys that position for the same reason that he likes to play catcher in baseball, you get to touch the ball on every play. The team uses the shotgun formation and Austin did a great job getting the ball to the QB. As is usually the case, Austin had a large cheering section. Our family is great and they really make an effort to make it to his games and support him. Thanks.

After the game, everyone was invited back over to our house. Since Mike and Courtney brought Cagney, everyone (except Cathy, she went home) decided to pick up lunch on the way back to our house. Jen and I decided to go to Whataburger. We pulled into the parking lot and the drive through line was very long. Whataburger is not known for having a fast drive through line, so I parked the family truckster. For some reason unknown to me, I instantly became irritated. I do not know if it was the hot temperature of the game without a breeze that finally got to me or the lack of sleep. No idea and no excuse. As I was getting out of the Suburban, I asked Jen what she wanted for lunch. She told me and then added that she wanted a Dr Pepper. I rudely told her that she could get one of those at home. I am a moron. I shut the door and began walking across the parking lot, then I realized that I needed to find out what to get for Addy. I walked to Jen's side of the truck and lightly knocked on the window. Then a couple of seconds later she opened her door. Apparently the window lock was on. This further frustrated me for some reason. I returned to the driver's side, opened the door and slammed my fist down on the window lock. Which is plastic. Needless to say, the window lock/ window switch area separated into a few pieces. Smooth on my part. 

I shut the door and went inside Whataburger to place our order. I had not completely lost my mind, so I ordered Jen a Dr Pepper. I promptly took it out to her and then I intended to fix the mess I had made of the driver's door. I opened the door and Jen had already fixed it for me. I apologized for acting like an idiot and thanked her for fixing the door for me. I went back inside Whataburger and found Austin talking to one of his football coaches and his son who is also on the football team. I went and stood near them, by the drink machine. I noticed an older lady using a walker inching her way towards me. She had napkins and plastic ware in one of her hands and was struggling to move the walker with her other hand. I watched her struggle for a minute, and then I made eye contact with her. I reached out my hand and asked her if she could use a little help. She looked at me for a few seconds, and then said that would be great. I grabbed the napkins and utensils from her which allowed her to put both hands back onto her walker. She then began inching her way around a corner to an accessible table. Once she arrived at the table, she ran the walker into it. Then she stood there for a minute trying to decide how she was going to get into the chair. The chair was attached to the table and swiveled. At that point, a nice lady walked up and offered a regular chair. I asked the older woman if that would be ok, she said that it would be fine. So I took the chair and placed it directly behind her. I then took  a hold of her shoulders and helped her lower herself into the chair. I then scooted her up to the table. She was extremely grateful. She told me that she had recently had a stroke and was not getting around as well as she used to. I shook her hand and told her to enjoy her lunch. 

I do not tell that story to toot my own horn. I was happy that I pulled things together and did the right thing. I was glad to set an example for Austin. I hope that if I am in the same position later in life that someone will help me. I tell that story to illustrate how differently a person can act in a very short period of time. I had just been a complete jerk towards my wonderful wife and then acted like a spoiled 5 year old by hitting the door. Then 2 minutes later I am living my faith and helping those that can not help themselves. What a dichotomy.      


Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: