Wednesday, September 23, 2009

1st day at the new job

A couple of years ago a good friend called me about a new extra job. The call woke me up from a deep sleep. I did not pay much attention to what he was saying. I told him I was not available and said thanks for the call. I saw him about a month later. He asked if I wanted to fill in at his extra job. I said what extra job? He said the one I called you about. I vaguely remembered a phone call. He was kind enough to fill me in again. I said filling in would be great, a permanant spot even better. He said I offered you a permanant spot over the phone. I felt like an idiot. That is one phone call I wish I had received when I was awake.

Sometime later he called me again and said that they might be starting a day shift at the extra job. I told him I was interested. That was 18 months ago. He called me last week and said that the day shift was finally starting. Tuesday morning was my first day shift at the new job. I will be there every Tuesday and Thursday.

The job is at a residence in River Oaks. River Oaks is the Houston equivalent of Beverly Hills. The house backs up to River Oaks Country Club. The owner is the principal shareholder and co-founder of an oil and natural gas pipeline company. The last Forbes' list had him listed in the top 100 richest men in the world. My job is to sit in the guard house and watch the monitors. The property is surrounded by a 10 foot brick fence. There are motion detectors and pressure sensors around the property. I am also responsible for allowing people on the property. There is also a TV and a computer connected to the Internet to pass the time.

On Tuesday, they held a fundraiser at the house for the Texas Speaker of the House. Two weeks ago they had a fundraiser for Govenor Perry. Last year Senator McCain and Former Govenor Palin were guests. The former Presidents named Bush have held fundraisers at the house as well. This is a popular place for Republicans to raise money.

It is an easy job that pays well. Just the kind of job that I like.


No comments: