Friday, September 11, 2009

Started with the new rookie

I was informed by my sergeant last night that I would be starting with a new rookie tonight. I was in the middle of evaluating Ron. I was told that Ron will wait a week until I am done with Mark. Mark is nearing the end of his probationary period and has to finish evaluation before September 26th. He failed his first week of formal 6th phase evaluation. He must now pass two more weeks of formal evaluation or he will be terminated. So, he has to pass 10 days of evaluation and only has 16 days left on probation.

 Well, if he has 9 more days like today, he will sucessfully complete his evaluation. I had been led to think that he has a bad attitude and does not listen to instruction. That he repeats the same mistakes as well as being a safety hazard. He failed officer safety and that is the only area in which he is being evaluated. Not tonight. I am not sure if my pre-evaluation pep talk calmed him down or what, but he performed just like he was trained. We had an arrest, three traffic stops, and an auto theft. He performed just as I would expect the entire time.

 I am curious to see how my documentation will be received by my sergeant. I was told to do very thorough documentation. I did and it shows him to be a model of officer safety. At least for tonight.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

1 comment:

will7079 said...

I just want to go on record by saying that as your wife, I am not entirely thrilled that you are having to evaluate someone who failed "officer safety." That fact does not instill a lot of confidence in me. Extra prayers for this week.