Friday, September 25, 2009

36 hours and Thank You

My regular work schedule consists of 5 eight hour shifts every week. I work from 10 PM to 6 AM and I am off on Sundays and Mondays. I also have a permanent extra job that I work two days a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 AM to 3 PM. On top of that, I regularly get subpoenas for Municipal (traffic) court and County court for DWI trials. Then there is the patrol overtime that is offered at various times throughout the year. So, I stay relatively busy with work. On the other hand, Jen, works her regular job four days a week. But her real job begins when she gets home. She takes care of virtually everything at home. That is a subject for another time, but thanks Jen for all that you do. Your work is never done and your love is constant.

This week I experienced a perfect storm of work scheduling for 36 hours. Starting on Wednesday night at 10 PM and ending Friday morning at 10 AM, I worked 31 of 36 hours. Below is the schedule:

Wednesday 10 PM to Thursday 6 AM - regular shift
Thursday 6 AM to 7 AM - nap in car
Thursday 7 AM to 4 PM - extra job
Thursday 4 PM to 6 PM - nap in car
Thursday 6 PM to 10 PM - patrol overtime
Thursday 10 PM to Friday 6 AM - regular shift
Friday 6 AM to 8 AM - nap in car
Friday 8 AM to 10 AM - Court overtime

Luckily I am able to nap comfortably in the Hybrid. I put the seat all of the way back, roll up a t-shirt to cover my eyes, and pass out. The iPhone serves as my alarm. I know that the schedule looks and sounds crazy. However, I actually prefer when things get scheduled that way. It only really messes up one day instead of two or three days. That way I am only away from the family for an evening. I would not be able to work those hours without a lot of help from a few generous people.

First and foremost, thanks Jen. You make it all possible. Thank you for being the best wife that I could ever hope for. Thank you for taking care of me and the kids. You are the best and the love of my life. Second, thank you Jim and Cathy for taking care of Addy on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Thank you for taking her to pre-school for us. I could not work my extra job without your help. Third, thank you Mom and Dad for watching Addy on Wednesdays. Your help allows me to get some much needed rest. Fourth, thank you Rob and Pam. Thank you for taking Austin to school four days a week. Thank you for letting him come over to your house after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays until one of us is able to pick him up. I could not work my schedule without your help as well.

Others have helped along the way, Courtney kept Austin one day a week when he was younger, Kristin kept Austin on Thursdays for awhile, and Julie has helped in emergencies. I am sure that I am forgetting someone, and I apologize.  

I may be the one that puts on the uniform and goes to work, but you all make it possible. I can not thank you enough for the help. I am so fortunate to have a great wife and we are so fortunate to have great parents and great friends that give so freely of their time and energy.

No comments: