Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Making sure

Some events in the last couple of days have caused me to think a lot about my relationship with my mom. Last Thursday, she had surgery to repair her right shoulder. She initially injured that shoulder playing with Addy. Addy likes to stand on my stomach. I hold her arms and lean left and right and say whoa constantly. Addy thinks it is tons of fun. Back in April, my mom was laying on the ground and Addy decided to stand on her stomach. Mom did not know the objective of this game. So, Addy leaned and mom's shoulder ripped.

 According to the doctor, the surgery went very well. She should regain the full use of the joint without any pain or limitations. However, she has experienced some side effects from the pain medication that she was prescribed. Rather severe side effects that have her in the hospital as I write this. The side effects have caught all of us completely off guard. They have also scared me.

 I believe that it is important to tell those that you love just how you feel about them. I am not good at expressing these feelings verbally, except to my wife. I have thought of writing notes to express my feelings to these people on many occasions. Below is the note to my mom, and it will be followed by other notes to other people in the future.

 Mom, the saying goes that you can not pick your family. But, if I had the choice, I would have chosen you. You have always been there for me. You took me to school, soccer, baseball, cotillion (a story for another day), golf, and to everything else that I was involved in. You have always given everything that you had for me. You always seemed to know what I was feeling and how to make things better. I can remember being upset one morning in middle school about my clothes. We had recently moved to Houston from Las Cruces and I was starting out at a new school. You went to a closet and pulled out a new shirt. You were prepared just in case. You wanted me to fit in and not feel like an outsider.

 You always had/have time to talk to me. You were my sounding board growing up. I remember many times sitting at the kitchen table or driving in the car talking about whatever was on my mind. I know that you miss those talks, and I do as well. I know that you have prayed for me daily, and those prayers have made a difference. I am so glad to have you and Dad attending church with us. That makes me very happy. You are always so patient. You always give people the benefit of the doubt. You see the best in people.

 I love watching you enjoy your grandchildren. Your face lights up when you see them. They both love to play with you. Seeing you teach Austin is a true joy. You really have a gift for teaching. You are able to communicate in a way with children that allows them to learn and understand. Years ago you knew that Heather was not the girl for me, but you stayed out of it and let me find that out for myself. When the time came you knew that Jennifer was the right choice. You love my wife like she is your daughter. You take care of Dad, and that takes patience. :^D Your love for people has been a fantastic example for me. I did not really understand that growing up, but I am starting to understand. People are what matter, not stuff. You have always understood that and tried to impart that to me. It took along time, but you succeeded. I am so proud to call you mother. I love you so much and I am looking forward to many more days with you.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: