Sunday, September 6, 2009

The best time of the year

September to December is a glorious time of year. It is my favorite time for numerous reasons, some of which I will elaborate upon.

 Saturday marked the beginning of the Longhorns football season. They started the year with their typical non-conference beat down. They bulldozed the Warhawks of some Louisiana school by the score of 59-20. They made plenty of mistakes during the game. So the coaches had lots of teachable moments. I did not watch the game. It was only available on pay-per-view, so I listened to it over the Longhorn radio network. I was not as fortunate as some others to be given tickets to the game. I am not bitter, just envious. I can be an absolute trainwreck during the games. I do not scream at the television, but I will make comments from time to time. I will pace and have been known to jump up and down. Hopefully this was the beginning of another run at the National title.

 Next Thursday is the start of the NFL season. I am a Cowboys fan, but as Jen can attest, I can watch any NFL game. This fall most Sundays will be spent at Mike and Courtney's house watching the NFL Sunday Ticket. I am sure glad that Mike decided to go with DirecTV.

 It is a little hot and humid during the long Houston summers, so the cooler days that fall promises to bring are definitely a bonus.

 Since having children, Halloween has been very enjoyable. The kids love to get dressed up. I think Austin will be a ninja this year and Addy will be Minnie Mouse. We typically start the night at the South Main Baptist Church Fall Festival, because churches can not celebrate Halloween. Instead, they celebrate fall, on Halloween. Then we do some trick-or-treating around our neighborhood. However, I am not sure what is going to happen this year, Halloween falls on a Saturday. The Longhorns play Oklahoma State that day. Hopefully, it is not a night game.

 I enjoy the time change. I prefer for it to get dark earlier in the evening. I am not entirely sure why, but it just seems more natural that way to me.

 Thanksgiving is in the fall as well. Lots of great food with the entire family. The Cowboys and Longhorns play on that day. As long as the Horns win, it is a great day. This is also the day that we take all of the Christmas decorations out of the attic. For most families, this is probably not a big undertaking. At my house, it requires prior planning. I schedule it for this day since the entire family is at the house to help. Otherwise, I think it would take the better part of a week for me to do it by myself. Every year, Courtney counts how many boxes come down, but I never remember. I think somewhere around 50.

 We celebrate both Jennifer's and my birthdays in the fall. It is an excuse for me to buy what I want. Like I need an excuse, but it sounds good. I also get to buy more clothes from Ann Taylor for Jennifer. She is so easy to buy for, she looks great in everything.

 Then we have the Christmas season, a fabulous time of the year. A very stressful time as well. It helps to remember what we are celebrating, the birth of our Lord and Savior.

 The rest of you can prefer the spring or the summer, but I will take the fall every year.

Posted via email from will7079's posterous

No comments: