Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July party, Smith style

The Cali Smith's throw what I would consider to be a large 4th of July party. The preparations for the party began awhile before we arrived. Phil and Sally have a great backyard for a party. A large pool surrounded by paver stones with a large multi-level wood deck off the backside of the pool. There are numerous seating areas with tables and chairs with umbrellas to provide shade. Perfect for a summer party.

Jen helped with the food preparation and decorating as you would expect. I helped set up the chairs and various tables. Then for the big job, getting the drinks ready. I used a two wheel dolly to get the water, beer, and soft drinks from the garage to the backyard. Two dolly trips for water, 5 cases each trip. Three trips for beer, and two trips for soft drinks. I converted the dolly into a 4 wheeled cart to bring the 240 pounds of ice to the backyard. Then I filled up the 6 huge tubs with the drinks and ice. I put the Mike's Hard lemonade and the Guiness in the outdoor refrigerator so that Shawn and I would have quick access to our drinks of choice.

Then it was time for the food. The women had prepared just about anything you could think of including a great baked bean dish. Phil & Gene fried two turkeys and grilled 3 large pork loins. The turkey was good
but the pork was excellent.

In all about 50 people came to the party, not including family. I appeared that everyone had a good time. They definitely had enough to eat and drink. Later today we will begin the clean-up process, after breakfast and golf at the country club. It's a tough life, I know.

No comments: