Sunday, July 12, 2009

Family, the good & the ugly

Jen and I are truly blessed when it comes to family. This trip has just reinforced that fact. We spent a couple of days staying with my brother. We did not grow up together, but you could not tell that now. We have a good relationship that continues to get better. We had a great time in Phoenix with Kenny, Cindy, & KC.

In SoCal we stayed with Jen's Uncle Phil and Aunt Sally. They put up with us for 9 nights. They provided meals, lodging, tickets to Disneyland, golf, all of the Mike's Hard lemonade that I could drink, and anything else that we needed. They made us feel welcome, their home was our home for the week.

While in SoCal, we spent some time with Jen's cousin Shawn, his wife Robin, and their daughter Sydney. Two days after we arrived, Shawn took Austin to Best Buy. Shawn picked up a few things that he wanted, and then he let Austin pick a game for himself. What a nice thing to do. Shawn then took Austin to his house and they played Xbox and hung out. Pretty cool. All of us got together on Saturday. Shawn and I played Halo 3 with Mike, Austin watched us get slaughtered, Jen and Robin talked like old friends, and the little ones napped. We ate dinner at CPK ( California Pizza Kitchen) and our money was not accepted there. Thanks again.

My Uncle John was gracious enough to invite me to play golf with him and his buddies in Palm Springs. We had a great time playing and catching up on life. John also helped me arrange for lodging on our return trip. He booked us reservations in Tucson, Las Cruces, and San Antonio. He then brought us the vouchers that we needed to get a discounted rate. Very cool.

Everyone was very friendly, generous, kind, and happy to see us.

Then we have my Uncle Bob. My dad has two brothers and a sister. My dad is the oldest, then came Aunt Joanne, Uncle Bob, and then Uncle John. At the beginning of the trip I emailed Uncle Bob and told him that we would be coming back through Tucson on Sunday the 12th. I said that we would like to see them and asked if they were available. Uncle Bob responded very quickly and said that yes, they would like to get together. We planned for dinner at a place close to our hotel at 5:30. Plans were reconfirmed later in the week.

Fast forward to that Sunday, we are in Tucson. It is 5:20 and we are leaving the hotel room. My phone dinged letting me know that I had a new mail message. I checked, and you guessed it, it was Uncle Bob. He said that they would not be able to make it to dinner, we will try to catch you later that evening.

Ok. Let me break this down.

1. He bailed on dinner by EMAIL. Not a phone call, not a text, not even an IM. What if email was not pushed straight to my phone? A little impersonal? You think?

2. 10 MINUTES before we planned on meeting. 10 minutes. Not a day, a half day, or even an hour. 10 minutes.

By email.

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVEABLE.

You can not make this stuff up.

No comments: