Friday, July 10, 2009

CA Adventure & friendship

The Pounds clan invaded southern California Monday afternoon. We spent the evening playing in Phil & Sally's pool. Keep away was the game of choice. I voted for "smear the queer". Jen & Becky were offended and Marv could not stop laughing.

The following day we met the Pounds at California Adventure, the other park at Disneyland Resort. All day was spent having a great time with great friends. Marvin and his family headed back to the Bay Area the next day.

After our brief visit with the Pounds, I started thinking about friendship. Marvin & I have been friends since my freshman year, 1988, at Texas Tech in Lubbuck. Our friendship was formed through long nights of studying and marathon sessions at the library. Ok, not exactly. Our friendship was forged with time. Marvin, Brian, and I spent about every waking moment together in Lubbuck. Playing video games, eating, going out, playing sports, working out, and on the rare occasion having a drink or 10 together.

On the surface it would appear that Marv and I had nothing in common. He was from a graduating class of 9 in the middle of NM. He grew up a cattle rancher, hard labor all of the time. I graduated with 600 and was not very experienced with hard labor.

Having fun together and drinking can sustain a friendship in college, but not forever. Marv and I have stayed friends for 21 years. More than half of our lives we have been friends. Other than Mike, whom I have know since his birth, Marv is my oldest friend. I believe that our friendship has been sustained because of our shared faith in Christ.

We do not live close together and have not lived in the same town since 1989. In spite of that we were the best man at each others weddings. To me, that speaks of God's plan. There is nothing logical about two people being basically best friends for life that only spent 9 months living close together.

Thanks Marv, looking forward to many more years of friendship.

No comments: