Saturday, July 18, 2009

SoCal traffic & drivers

In the 600 square miles that make up Houston, there is a vast network of freeways. These freeways are designed to allow large numbers of vehicles to travel safely and efficiently throughout the area. However, in those 600 square miles, there are an estimated 2.4 million people. At times it seems like they are all driving on the freeways at the same time.


So, here in the Houston area we have a little traffic. The Katy, East, Southwest, Gulf, North, South, Northwest, Loop, and Eastex freeways all tend to get a little congested at times. I live down south and travel along the Gulf freeway almost every day. Luckily, I do not have to drive during the peak traffic times of the day. I rarely have to deal with real rush-hour levels of traffic. Maybe that is why SoCal traffic made such an impression on me.

Recently we spent about 9 days in the Southern California area. Los Angeles covers about 500 square miles and has an estimated population of 3.9 million people. However, the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area has an estimated population of 13 million people. While we were there we travelled on I-10, I-5, I-15, I-605, I-215, CA 91, CA 60, CA 55, and CA 101. They are all major freeways in the SoCal area. All of the freeways were a minimum of 3 lanes and some as many as 7 lanes in each direction. We also travelled at various times, as early as 6 AM and as late as 1 AM.

We encountered traffic every single time that we travelled on a freeway. By traffic, I do not mean quite a few cars running at the posted speed limit. I mean traffic to the point that the freeway comes to a complete stop for one reason or another. We only encountered one accident and one area of construction. Every other trip was just a matter of too many cars. It is amazing to be sitting on a freeway with 7 lanes in your direction and be stopped. Not by an accident or construction, but by congestion. So, the next time you are lamenting Houston traffic, believe me, it can be much worse.

Another thing about driving in SoCal. The drivers are rude. Every trip I felt like Mad Max. No one lets you switch lanes. In fact it seemed like they actively tried to not let you over. I had to forget my turn signal. The moment you turn it on, someone else will move to prevent you from moving over. My words are not able to do it justice. It was every person for themselves, and if I can screw you over in the process, I get bonus points. I was very glad to get back to Texas and our drivers.


No comments: