Monday, July 6, 2009

Country Club life

Phil & Sally suggested that we go out for brunch before Phil & I played golf. Sounded like a good idea to me. When we arrived at the club, the first thing that I noticed was the entrance was blocked by a gate. I have been to my fair share of nice country clubs in Texas, and none of them have entrance gates that are kept closed during the day. River Oaks country club, Colonial, Glen Eagles, Stonebriar, to name a few, none of them keep the gates closed. No big deal, just interesting. Wonder if they are trying to keep people out or members in?

We proceeded into the main dining area which overlooks the golf course. The entire clubhouse is elevated over the course, so the views are great. Addy did not want eggs for breakfast, she ordered pancakes. Then Addy ate half of Jen's huevos rancheros and did not touch her pancakes. That child likes Mexican food.

We finished brunch and the family headed home and Phil and I headed to the car. We grabbed our shoes and clubs. We dropped the clubs at the
designated spot. Phil made a call letting someone know where our clubs were. We then went into the locker room where we put on our golf shoes. From there we went to the driving range where our clubs were loaded onto a cart waiting for us. We hit a few balls, and I should have known it was going to be a challenging day. I hit everything on the range just about perfect. Five irons were flying right at the flags and the drives were long and straight. I left all of the straight drives on the range.

I spent the front 9 in the trees and only after some good recovery shots and long par putts did I salvage a decent score. The back nine was more consistent. However, two bad holes left me needing to birdie 18 to break 80. I made a 10 footer to end the round on a positive note. Thanks Phil for the opportunity to play Victoria Club.

Throughout the day, all of the staff at Victoria Club were very polite and friendly. They even had a "proper" cart girl. The course was in great shape. The greens were fast and the rough was up. The club was hosting US Senior Open qualifying the next day, and did not want the scores to be too low.

It was a good day. It reminded me of how spoiled I was to play at country clubs thoughout high school and college. At the time, I did not know or really appreciate how lucky I was. Big thanks to mom and dad for providing me with that opportunity.

Mobile Blogging from here.

No comments: